Saturday, February 26, 2011

The "H" word

This week in my SPED 1010 class one of my assignments was to read the following article then post a respose to how I felt about the position taken. It is a great article, which I think everyone should read if they want to be more socially aware of the words they choose.


http://www.thenthdegree.com/hword.asp

My response:

Being completely truthful, I didn't know that the "H" word was not an acceptable word. I read the article 4 times because I thought it was written so truthfully.I appreciate the authors opinion and the differences pointed out between the words.

I am not physically disabled, I am obese and because of that I have been handicap at certain times. For instance when I go to fly on a plane, the seat belt doesn't fit, or when I go to ride certain amusement rides, I weigh too much, or when I can't fit in a booth at a restaurant. I have also self imposed some handicaps on myself, like I never go swimming because I would have to put on a bathing suit.

To me there is a huge difference in the words, and actually I am not in love with either word. Frankly, I really don't like any word that is used to describe a person whether it is disabled, handicap, short or fat. Those words don't come close to defining a person. I like how the author put a person is a Teacher, Athlete, or in my opinion a Mother, a Scientist, a student....define a person by what they do , how they act, their abilities not by their appearance or condition.

3 comments:

Avry said...

I concur! Very well written Erin!

Steve said...

Great article. You summed it up beautifully!

Steve said...

Oops! This is Angie, not Steve!