Wednesday, February 16, 2011

No. Anything but that word.

I went to see my GP for my monthly Medical Diet Check-in. One of the last things we talked about was my worsening Diabetes. I told her I was surprised that it was all the sudden going down hill so quickly. Her response was this:

Well, You're Fat.

Duh, really? The whole phrase hit me like a Mac Truck. It hurt. Especially because she knows my situation, she knows I am doing everything in my power to fight this disease called obesity. That's what it is you know, a chronic illness, that may eventually take my life.

I am not FAT.

I am smart.
I am sensitive.
I am shy.
I am spiritual.

I suffer from obesity. You don't tell a cancer patient they are cancer. You don't tell a person with a learning disability they are dumb. What we look like or what conditions we have does not in any way define what we ARE.

She knew she said something WRONG, because the tears just flowed. She apologized. She FELT bad. Next time she WILL think twice.

  • I am still really emotional. I hope the tears will go away soon.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Agreed on the your beautiful part.




By the way this is your fav son speaking.

Avry said...

Aww Erin some people just don't think do they? I went and bought some new pants because mine were all so tight & cutting off the circulation and when I came to work yesterday my co worker said "oh those look so much better your stomach hanging over your other clothes was too much!" My jaw about hit the floor. It hurt. I love how you put it into perspective. Obesity runs in my family my Grandmother died at over 400 lbs. It IS a disease. I got that lovely gene & oh how I fight my food every single day of my life. It doesn't help that I love food.. I love you Erin - to me you are so much prettier than you will ever realize.

Angie said...

I agree with you. I think obesity is a diseases that people don't understand. I would have to add depression to that list as well. Both are diseases like any other! Hang in there, Erin. You can fight this disease one day at a time. :)

Anonymous said...

How many people do I have to beat up before they get smart? You are beautiful and smart and sensitive and spriritual and I love you! If I ever get a world, everyone will weigh the same. I hope you win your battle and that the rest of us can too, but until then do what I do. I just know that I am a child of God and that I am worth kindness and understanding and love and a million dollars and smile inside because you really know what you are worth and all of your friends really know what you are worth too! Love tons! Linda

Hayley said...

Erin, you forgot you are beautiful.

I always think you are beautiful when I see you. :) Hang in there!

Miss ~E said...

You are all gems! Love you all.